Saturday, February 16, 2008

Late Work

The 6 weeks ended yesterday. I've been warning all classes since we started the semester that I was on the verge of changing my policy on late work. I have been accepting late work within the 6 weeks it was assigned for half credit. This isn't make-up for an excused absence, and there's no make-up work allowed for unexcused absences. This is stuff that they were there to turn in, but didn't.

I feel they've been taking advantage of me.

Many students seem to think that they can wait until the last week and then pile it on me. They think that converting several zero's to 40 or 50% will push them up to an A. I spend the next few day slogging through stuff that we should be well past.

A colleague had his epiphany over the break. I've been envious. I think I'm going in on Tuesday and posting my decision in large letters on the whiteboard for all to see: EFFECTIVE 2/22 - NO LATE WORK ACCEPTED! I'll read it to each class. Then they'll whine. Then I'll ignore they're whining. Then we're done.

No comments: