Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Break is Coming!

It's my prep period on flex day. Two hours that I thought would be total solitude, but two seniors just showed up to work on their project. Unfortunately one needs constant reassurance that what she's about to do is right before she does it. I refuse to do that. I tell her to do what she thinks best and then I'll grade it. Fortunately, her partner seems willing to take the role I refuse. I'm just sitting here typing with the music loud enough that I can't understand what they're saying.

It's the week before Spring Break. Experience tells me this is one of those weeks when they're too squirrely for the usual academics.

My solution for the seniors is a project on moving out of home and into an apartment. This involves a deposit, furniture, utilities, and of course a monthly budget. I assign each student an hourly wage I get from a random number generator, so most of them band together with others in the class as roommates, though I don't require it.

My solution for the juniors is a movie, the only movie I show all year. We're on the Great Depression. I show "Cindrella Man" because it depicts what it was like for families then better than any other movie I've seen. And the boxing keeps them awake.

Two more days, then Vernal Holiday (Good Friday) followed by Spring Break. Next week, I'll be putting in a vegetable garden.

No comments: