Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Games

Early on in this career, I discovered a great classroom management tool. I go to games, plays, and concerts. I found that if I show an interest in the things in which my students are interested, my life in the classroom is easier.

Now, football and boys basketball are easy. Everyone goes to them. I go to the stuff no one else does. I'm always the only teacher at the girls basketball games. It's just me, their parents, a few boyfriends, and the principal assigned to the game. There are fewer of our fans at away games. I don't know why people from my school won't travel across the city, but they won't.

The day after the last band and orchestra concert, the music dept. chair was seeking me out because he knew I was there and he knew I'd give him an honest opinion. He told me that. I told him the truth.

My students tell me when they have a game or a concert or a match or an art show or a play and ask me if I'm going. I can't say no. I can't be one of those teachers who just goes to the football games. I can't be one of those teachers who want to be as far from the students as possible after the bell rings.

No comments: